Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Maybe it IS the happiest country in the world

As most things in Copenhagen, eating out is extremely expensive. I would kill for some Shiki, bogo sushi, that concept doesn't exist here. But today, on rare occasion, I chose to have lunch out with Sora, in an actual restaurant. Besides RizRaz with the Globe group and schwarma and pizza's from fast food shops, I haven't had a real meal out in Copenhagen. It was about time to sit down for a meal in Copenhagen, before I leave in about a month and 13 days...AH! It was just a small cozy cafe in Frederiksberg near CBS. I never venture out there much, but the street is full of nice shops and restaurants. We spotted this one and decided it was worth a try. BEST decision of my day. Starting off with a tasty cappucino, we split a pesto chicken and mushroom pasta and a chicken and bacon club sandwich with a curry mayo sauce topped with a slice of pineapple and pretty much an entire salad. Both were awesome. I have to say, this has been my most delicious meal in Europe, which says a lot, having gone to Barcelona and toured Italy. The total tab, 218 dkk for 2, which rounds to about $44 USD. And for dessert of course I couldn't resist a waffle cone with mint and chocolate scoops. Reminds me of Yogurt Pump in CH, I miss Yopo, but this was a worthy substitute. It's probably for the best that I waited til now to have a meal out, now I may not be able to stay away. This makes me realize how much I love Copenhagen though. Having been to a couple countries nearby, I am glad I ended up here, despite the terrible weather. I mean it DID snow last Wednesday, which was gorgeous. But Copenhagen as a city, the culture and the people, are a hard to beat. I know I have a lot to complain about, the school failing at using a standard schedule for classes, the excessive amount of rye bread, the astronomically high prices of American goods(which greatly hinders my purchase peanut butter and Ben & Jerry's ice cream, each costing about $10 USD) ...but gotta say I love this place. I don't think I could've randomly chosen a better European city to spend 4 months in. It's the littlest things, the lights around Magasin at night, the exhibits in the city square, the sunset on Nyhavn, the walk home through a street full of bakeries and local shops, this city has been amazing to me and I'm proud to call it home, even if it is only for 4 months.

1 comment:

  1. you better come back! i won't be able to survive without you here much longer.

    ReplyDelete